Save Our Cemeteries has partnered with New Orleans Catholic Cemeteries to provide a unique tour of St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 at dusk. This special cemetery tour is EXCLUSIVE ONLY to Save Our Cemeteries, no other tour company has been granted access to the cemetery after normal cemetery hours. Proceeds from the Tombs by Twilight Tours benefit restoration efforts in historic St. Louis Cemetery No. 1.
This exclusive evening cemetery tour is held on the fourth Saturday of each month. ADVANCE RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. Reservations must be made at least 24 hours in advance of each tour. Tour is only available to persons 21 years of age and older.
Beginning October 1st, 2017, there will need to be a minimum of 3 guests for the tour to not be cancelled. Any tours with less than 3 reservations will be cancelled 2 hours before the scheduled tour time, and full refunds will be issued.
• Price: $45/person
• Tour departs from (RF’s) Richard Fiske’s Martini Bar (located in the Chateau LeMoyne Hotel), 301 Dauphine St, New Orleans, LA 70112. Tour returns to the bar after the cemetery tour for complimentary drinks, appetizers and post tour socializing with your tour guides.
• Total event time: 3 hours.
• Cemetery tour lasts approximately 75-90 minutes.
• Reminder that the tour is only open to persons 21 and older.
• Tour includes complimentary drink, appetizer, walking tour of St. Louis Cemetery No. 1.
Current Tour Dates & Times:
• January 28, 2017 – 4:30 pm.
• February 18, 2017 – 5:00 pm.
• March 25, 2017 – 6:30 pm.
• April 22, 2017 – 6:30 pm.
• May 27, 2017 – 6:30 pm.
• June 24, 2017 – 7:00 pm.
• July 22, 2017 – 6:30 pm.
• August 26, 2017 – 6:30 pm.
• September 23, 2017 – 6:00 pm.
• October 28, 2017 – 5:30 pm.
• November 18, 2017 – 4:00 pm.
• December 23, 2017 – 4:00 pm.
Parking is available at:
• 565 Crozat Street (at Basin Street)
• Premium Parking – 911 Iberville St. 504-565-5546
• Premium Parking – 716 Iberville St. 504-274-1413
• Central Parking – 555 Canal Street 504-525-5476
• Central Parking – 1029 Bienville St. 504-525-5476
• Central Parking – 111 Iberville St. 504-529-3327
• Rampart Street Parking – 210 N. Rampart Street 504-529-7275
• On-street parking is also available in the area
About St. Louis Cemetery No. 1:
Founded in 1789 and listed on the National Register of Historic Places, St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 is located just steps outside of the French Quarter at the corner of St. Louis & Basin Streets. It is the burial ground of some of the most illustrious citizens of New Orleans, including Etienne de Bore, pioneer in sugar development; Daniel Clark, financial supporter of the American Revolution; Paul Morphy, world famous chess champion; and other local and national figures.
Notable structures include the famed oven wall vaults, the supposed resting place of Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau, and the magnificent tombs of the French, Italian, Portuguese, and Spanish societies.
Dramatically shown in the 1969 film, Easy Rider, the cemetery is the oldest existing cemetery in New Orleans. It is a maze of wall vaults, family tombs, and society tombs that artistically showcase the unique burial customs & traditions of New Orleans.
Save Our Cemeteries is the only non-profit in New Orleans that offers cemetery tours. Proceeds from your tour ticket price will go directly towards our mission of cemetery restoration, education and advocacy.
Maps and Directions
|Tour start/end location: