Tours & Marketing Manager
The Tours and Marketing Manager serves as a liaison between Save Our Cemeteries and its contract tour guides, as well as the local tourism industry. A successful Tours & Marketing Manager is highly collaborative and communicative, but also able to execute projects independently.
The Tours & Marketing Manager is responsible for the creation and management of tours, and internal and external communications supervision as it relates to tours and marketing. The duties of the position also include research, coordination of tour logistics, reporting, and tour guide recruitment and management. The Tours & Marketing Manager is an essential role to the success of our cemetery tour programs and presence in the community.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Tour Program Management and Execution
• Facilitate an active relationship with hotels, restaurants, and other attractions in the greater New Orleans area
• Develop relationships with regional national, and international tourism based publications and websites.
• Market to promote SOC’s cemetery tour program and increase revenue for the organization.
• Oversee design and printing of marketing publications, including tour rack cards, cemetery guidebooks, and advertisements.
• Regularly take inventory of all tour-related supplies and seek approval from Executive Director to purchase supplies as
• Maintain regular communication with Executive Director to understand the needs and expectations of cemetery
owner/operators regarding permission, scheduling, and staffing for tours.
• Serve as the point of contact for all inquiries regarding the SOC tour program under the supervision of the Executive Director.
• Plan new research-based advertising strategies for current and subsequent years that will increase the number of tours and
• Prepare and release press kit to media and build tour promotion campaigns.
• Implement advertising programs with tourism related segments that exist in the greater New Orleans area (merchants,
restaurants, schools, hotels).
• Create an education program for tourism industry and schools on tours and programs at Save Our Cemeteries.
• Create and coordinate new tours
• Answer phones in the SOC office and book tours for guests
SOC Tour Guide Recruitment and Supervision
• Serve as a representative of Save Our Cemeteries at local tour guide training courses to recruit and retain new talent for the
SOC tour program.
• Serve as SOC tour guides’ primary contact for cemetery tour scheduling and communication.
• Conduct onsite tour guide orientation and training. Supervise all tour guides during training phase, and remain onsite for the
duration of scheduled practice tours.
• Conduct Peek Pro (the current SOC online tour booking system) training courses with new tour guides at the SOC office.
• Provide tour guides with SOC polo shirts, badge holders, tour attendee stickers and fans, collect completed tax forms, conflict
of interest contracts, and any other necessary paperwork from each tour guide prior to conducting tours for SOC.
• Collect copies of tour guide licenses for each tour guide annually, and ensure that all SOC tour guides maintain a valid,
current license required to conduct tours in the city of New Orleans.
• Ensure a safe, respectful, and quality working environment in conjunction with cemetery tours.
Research & Reporting
• Contribute to and monitor the flow of new website content and create monthly reports regarding the effectiveness of the SOC
• Gather data and prepare annual tourism situational analysis for the SOC Tours & Marketing Committee, Executive
Director, and Board of Directors
• Prepare monthly reports on ad negotiations and placements, basic inquiry data and creative initiatives, and well as the
activities of the Tours & Marketing Manager.
• Immediately document and report any or emergency situations or safety incidents to Executive Director in conjunction with
• Keep updated advertising history files and archive ad materials and collect necessary and pertinent travel research and report
• Maintain tourism budget
• Attend meeting, seminars, conventions, and workshops to further knowledge, stay informed of the changes in the tourism
industry, and exchange information.
• Represent SOC at Convention & Visitors Bureau and Tour Guide Association of Greater New Orleans meetings and
• Prepare and deliver presentations to both local and regional civic and governmental organizations on Save Our Cemeteries
and its cemetery tour program.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word
• A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, or a closely related field, or any combination of training and experience
which provide the required skills, knowledge, and abilities for the position
• Existing knowledge of the local cemeteries and/or local history is desirable
• Previous experience with a Convention & Visitors Bureau is desirable
• General knowledge of modern office practices, procedures
• Knowledge of the tourism industry
• Creation and implementation of a marketing plan
• Friendly, approachable, and professional
• Able to manage and collaborate with tour guides with a diverse array of personalities and working styles
• Ability to communicate well verbally and in writing, and demonstrated skills in planning and organization
• Initiates proper and acceptable direction for the completion of work with a minimum of supervision and instruction
Knowledge of WordPress or website-building is highly desirable
At times, the position requires:
• Training of tour guides in the outdoors year-round, at times in direct sunlight and heat
• Off-site, public presentations
No benefits including health insurance, 403(b) benefits, bonuses, paid vacation or sick time will be offered until a probationary period of six months of employment is completed.
This is a full-time position.
To apply, please email a CV to Amanda Walker, Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org and include MARKETING MANAGER in the subject line.
Absolutely no phone calls, please.
We are always looking for great interns, particularly those who want to learn about tomb restoration and techniques, conduct research, or gain nonprofit administrative experience. If you would like to discuss tomb restoration, cemetery research or documentation opportunities, or if you are interested in gaining experience in non-profit management and administration, contact the Save Our Cemeteries staff, at email@example.com.
Want to lead cemetery tours for SOC? We are always looking for great licensed tour guides to lead our cemetery tours! If you are a tour guide licensed by the City of New Orleans and you’d like to find out about opportunities to volunteer or be paid to conduct cemetery tours, please contact SOC’s Tour Coordinator, Lora Williams, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also have many volunteer opportunities such as assisting SOC with special events or helping out our Education or Restoration committees. Whatever your interest, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Group Volunteer Opportunities
Looking for a volunteer opportunity for your school, church or corporate group? We always need help doing basic cemetery maintenance, vegetation removal, and survey projects. To schedule a group volunteer project, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Depending on the size and type of volunteer group, we may charge a small fee to cover our costs.
Current Job Openings/Opportunities: