The St. Peter Street Cemetery
June 5, 2012 at 5pm
The Arsenal Room at The Cabildo
Free to the public
The French established the first cemetery in New Orleans outside of what was at the time the city limits. The St. Peter St. Cemetery served as the primary burial ground during the French and Spanish colonial periods. When the cemetery became overcrowded in 1788 due to the great fire and several serious yellow fever outbreaks that year, and since, by then the city limits had expanded to include the St. Peter St. Cemetery within the walls of the city, the Spanish established a new cemetery, St. Louis #1 outside of the city walls.
D. Ryan Gray is an archaeologist whose work focuses on issues of race and urban development in the post-Emancipation period. He received his BA in Archaeology from Columbia University in 1996, after which he worked for New Orleans-based cultural resource management firm Earth Search, Inc. During his time at ESI, Gray developed his interest in the archaeology of the city, excavating at a variety of urban historic sites spanning from the French Colonial period to the 1930s. He received his MA in Anthropology from the University of Chicago in 2010 with a thesis exploring the history of Asian immigration to New Orleans through the archaeology of a Chinese laundry. He is also finishing his dissertation at the University of Chicago on the slum clearance movement and the origins of public housing. He is currently a visiting instructor in the Department of Anthropology at the University of New Orleans.