Mourning In Louisiana Tour

aubins-mourning-lady

Save Our Cemeteries and the Pitot House & Louisiana Landmarks Society have partnered together to present a special tour on 19th century mourning and interment customs. The tour showcases both the historic Pitot House museum and St. Louis Cemetery No. 3, with light refreshments to be served afterwards.

Tour groups meet at the Pitot House on Bayou St. John at 1:30 pm and walk to the historic St. Louis Cemetery No. 3 with a trained and licensed tour guide. After a tour of burial customs and the historic figures located in St. Louis Cemetery No. 3, the tour returns to the Pitot House with a short tour of the house and collections. The Pitot House will display 19th century mourning attire and other period necro-artifacts and textiles from a private collection on loan. Tours are conducted 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm Friday afternoons from October 7th through November 18th, 2016.

Admission is $30/person.

Mourning In Louisiana

Tour Dates:

October 7th, 2016, 1:30 pm.
October 14th, 2016, 1:30 pm.
October 21st, 2016, 1:30 pm.
October 28th, 2016, 1:30 pm.
November 4th, 2016, 1:30 pm.
November 11th, 2016, 1:30pm
November 18th, 2016, 1:30 pm.

Location Of Event:

1440 Moss St.
New Orleans, LA 70119
504-482-0312Mourning In LA Tour - Pitot House & St. Louis Cemetery No.3

About Pitot House:
Located on historic Bayou St. John, the Pitot House is the only Creole colonial country house that is open to the public in New Orleans. It tells the story of life along the bayou since the earliest days of settlement. The Pitot House has had a variety of owners from prominent lawyers to austere nuns. One of the most prominent was James Pitot, the first mayor of New Orleans after the city’s incorporation who lived here from 1810-1819. The Pitot House is a National Trust for Historic Preservation Partner Place.

About St. Louis Cemetery No. 3:
St. Louis Cemetery No. 3 is located near the end of Esplanade Avenue, near Bayou St. John. The cemetery had its beginnings in 1848 when an Act was passed by Legislature in March of that year under which the City Council privileged the Cathedral wardens to establish a new cemetery. It opened in 1854. The crypts on average are more elaborate than at the other St. Louis cemeteries, including a number of fine 19th century marble tombs. Those entombed include ragtime composer Paul Sarebresole, photographer E. J. Bellocq, and painter Ralston Crawford. More…

 

Maps and Directions

Tour start/end location:
Cemetery location:

 

Share This:
Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmailFacebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestmail