St. Roch Cemeteries No. 1 and 2

St. Roch Cemetery, New Orleans.St. Roch Cemetery, New Orleans. Photograph by Christian Paul/Infrogmation


In Gumbo Ya-Ya, Lyle Saxon called St. Roch’s “one of the most unusual cemeteries in New Orleans.” He wrote that it had an appearance of great age, despite its relative youth. The story of St. Roch Cemetery begins with Holy Trinity Church in the Faubourg Marigny. This lovely church sits defunct and abandoned in a tract of land that was once called “Little Saxony,” since it received the waves of German immigrants pouring into New Orleans during the 1840’s. This German speaking Catholic parish was founded in 1847, while two blocks away is the city’s first Protestant German church, St. Paul Lutheran, founded in 1840. The congregations included artisans, shopkeepers, farmers, dairymen, and the settlers of Milneburg. Holy Trinity served the area as the parish church until 1871, when it was divided and St. Boniface parish was created.

The St. Roch cemetery chapel is particularly noteworthy due to the offerings left to those in recognition of answered prayers. The cemetery is well maintained by the current congregation, and is actively used today.

Location and Hours

Location: 1725 St Roch Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70117

Monday – Saturday: 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Sunday: 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Holiday closings vary

For more information, contact:
Archdiocese of New Orleans
504-596-3050 (cemetery office)

Map and Directions


Research Resources

St. Roch Cemetery Photos
For cemetery property research: Archdiocese of New Orleans Cemetery Office
For genealogy research: Archdiocese of New Orleans Genealogy Office